[GRASS-user] Search and Rescue Volunteer Groups

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Feb 4 13:13:21 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 09:24:58AM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <dsampson at NRCan.gc.ca> flavor, containing:
> Hey Folks,
>
> I'm looking for people that either use GRASS or would like to use GRASS
> as a part of a mapping solution for volunteer search and rescue groups.

What a timely request.  I'm just such a person, and have *just* this week
started a mailing list for local SAR volunteers to explore using GRASS for
SAR planning, but it's pretty much a case of the one-eyed guy with cataracts
leading the blind.  I am very much interested.

> Any links to case articles would be great too.

Here's a trivial one I cooked up a couple weeks ago (unfortunately) *after* a
multi-day search for stranded snowboarders in extreme weather conditions:
http://www.swcp.com/~russo/080103/

A textbook toy GIS problem that highlighted how well a GIS could have been
used had a volunteer knowledgeable enough to use it been in the command post.
The set of such volunteers is microscopic, though, and I hope to change that
in this area.