[GRASS-user] Search and Rescue Volunteer Groups

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 03:18:50 EST 2008

Tom Russo wrote:
> What a timely request.  I'm just such a person, and have *just* this
> week started a mailing list for local SAR volunteers to explore using
> GRASS for SAR planning, but it's pretty much a case of the one-eyed
> guy with cataracts leading the blind.  I am very much interested.
>
> > Any links to case articles would be great too.
>
> Here's a trivial one I cooked up a couple weeks ago (unfortunately)
> *after* a multi-day search for stranded snowboarders in extreme
> weather conditions:
> http://www.swcp.com/~russo/080103/
>
> A textbook toy GIS problem that highlighted how well a GIS could have
> been used had a volunteer knowledgeable enough to use it been in the
> command post.
> The set of such volunteers is microscopic, though, and I hope to
> change that in this area.

Hi,

I have taken the liberty to set up an 'Applications' page on the GRASS
wiki where interested groups can share tips, etc.

  http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/Applications

I started with these categories:

# Archeology
# Environmental Protection and Monitoring
# Geology
# Hydrologic Sciences - including ice cover
# Marine Science
# Meteorology
# Natural Hazards
# Public Health
# Search and Rescue
# Wildlife Zoology

The wiki is open for everyone to edit, so feel free to add your
personal favorite to the list if it's missing or content if it's
already there.

Tom: a classic app & very interesting read. That would be a nice link
to put on the SAR wiki page. Any interest in getting the ps.map output
linked from there up the GRASS website's Cartography screenshots page?

regards and good business,
Hamish