[GRASS-user] Search and Rescue Volunteer Groups

Sampson, David dsampson at NRCan.gc.ca
Tue Feb 5 12:50:58 EST 2008

That sounds great,

I think a prser for incoming APRS is probably what is required. I know
very little about APRS so I thought it was uni-directional. Could you
also send locational taks, like a "now go here" type packet back through
the system?

It sounds like there is a pretty good skill set out there with some
ready made pieces that only need to be packaged together to fulfill the
neds and then tweeked as time goes on.

Cheers

-----Original Message-----
From: Curt, WE7U [mailto:archer at eskimo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 12:34
To: Sampson, David
Cc: grass-user at lists.osgeo.org
Subject: RE: [GRASS-user] Search and Rescue Volunteer Groups

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Sampson, David wrote:

> There is also interest in an APRS application extension. Xastir is
> program for receiving and plotting APRS(tm) position packets
> (http://www.xastir.org/). My team will be developing communications
> means and would like to track assets in the field using APRS. A script

> to listen to, capture and manage APRS will be on the wish list in the
> future.

Let me know if I might be able to help.  I've written a Perl APRS server
that can talk to a serial port and has socket code, plus have done
similar in C for Xastir.

I also have some Perl code written by the APRS spec. editor which parses
out most APRS packets into human-readable text:  A good start if you
want to display such in GRASS.

If you want to also send out APRS packets, that'll be more involved.

"Windows:  Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates." -- WE7U The world
DOES revolve around me:  I picked the coordinate system!