[GRASS-user] Questions: Clipping polygon layer to the outer boundary of another layer...

Rick Reeves reeves at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Feb 12 13:21:50 EST 2008

Hello:

I'm using v.in.ogr to clip a polygon set (in this case, county
boundaries) to
the boundary of a (rectangular) raster image.

As far as I know, this is the only way to do this; I tried to create a
new location
with the same boundaries and import the polygon shapefile into the
location, but
clipping did not occur as expected.

In any case, v.in.ogr did not clip the 'boundary polygons' to the the
edge of the
raster image, but included the entire polygon. Only excluded polygons
completely
outside of the bounding box are clipped.

There MUST be a way to clip all polygons to the bounding box edge. Can any
one suggest a way?

The second edition of Netler's book discusses v.cutregion.sh and
v.cutter methods,
but I cant find any evidence of these in GRASS 6.2.

Thanks for any help,
Rick Reeves