[GRASS-user] r.sim.water and Spearfish60 sample data

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 13 06:33:17 EST 2008

roberto caselli wrote:
> In the script I have the dem used is elevation.dem, not
> elevation.10m. I thought the problem was due to Cygwin, so I tryed
> the same script on a pc with linux xubuntu and grass 6.2.3 but the
> system killed the r.sim.water process. Now i'm installing Grass
> 6.3.0, hoping to solve all these problems.

When Linux system kills a process it is usually because all the memory
is gone and to keep working it has to decide to kill something. So it
guesses and kills the worst offender.

For me, the 6.2.3 version + elevation.dem needs 100mb RAM:
  VIRT  RES  SHR
  961m 100m 3800

On a slimed down linux distro you could get away with that on a machine
with only 256MB RAM without swapping to disk (I'm doing that now). IIRC
WinXP idles at about 275MB RAM, and if you add to that some overhead
for Cygwin you can see why it gets uphappy.

How much RAM does your system have?

You can search the mailing list for instructions on how to temporarily
add more hard drive swap memory in linux, if upgrading that isn't an
option.

Hamish