[GRASS-user] r.sim.water and Spearfish60 sample data

roberto caselli roberto.caselli at yahoo.it
Fri Feb 15 08:38:52 EST 2008

I installed Xubuntu on my notebook with GRASS6.2.2 (from the repository) and I tested spearfish.sh with good results!! Thank you very much for your suggestions and support!!

PS: I saw that elevation.dem_depth is the raster with the water depths in each cell. How can I see the values of these water depths?

Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> ha scritto: roberto caselli wrote:
> I have a Notebook and a PC:
>
> The Notebook is an Acer Travelmate with 512MByte Ram, windows Vista
> and cygwin.  I tested spearfish.sh on this system but it failed with
> "Running MAY 10  version ./spearfish.sh : line 32 : 1668 Segmentation
> Fault (core dumped) "  Maybe the problem here is Cygwin, isn't it?

I think trying to run Vista with only 512MB RAM, and then trying to run
a memory hungry module on top of that is pushing things a bit far.

> After that i tested the same script on my PC (Pentium 3 500MHz with
> 256MByte Ram and linux Xubuntu 7.10) and the system killed
> r.sim.water immediately.

Not enough memory. Did you set up any hard drive swap space? That can
help to push the stale stuff out of the way. Once you have used so much
that you are actively swapping back and forth to the disk it slows down
hugely. (same as MS Windows will)

> My idea is to install ubuntu on my notebook acer to try that script
> in Grass6.3.0

Ok, but consider to use Xubuntu and other low-resource programs to
leave some memory spare. Gnome and KDE use a lot..

And be sure to test with elevation.dem not elevation.10m.

Hamish

Be a better friend, newshound, and