[GRASS-user] How to create easily and fast an empty vector-layer to use it in Quantum GIS?

Philipp Steigenberger userlist at online.de
Mon Feb 18 04:51:17 EST 2008

good morning ....
I recovered QGIS as an alternative offer to the v.digit tool and played
a little with it last week. While I can create a new vector map using
the -n flag in v.digit and creating a new table in the settings-window,
I couldn't find a similar option in QGIS.
Is there any?

Therefore I tried to create an empty vectormap using

v.edit tmp03  tool=create
v.db.addtable tmp03
v.db.addcol tmp03 col="number DOUBLE"

Don't I have a posibility to create such a layer with only one command?

After that I started QGIS and tried to open the map but I got the message:
THE LAYER IS NOT A VALID LAYER AND CANNOT BE ADDED TO THE MAP

Whats wrong?

btw isn't there a "edit boundary/line" button in QGIS like I have one in
v.digit?

thnks for helping
cheers
Philipp