[GRASS-user] Problem with display of Raster file.

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Feb 21 09:27:33 EST 2008

On Feb 20, 2008, at 11:48 PM, grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:09:52 +0530
> From: "Kunal Malik" <kunal.malik81 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] Problem with display of Raster file.
> To: "Glynn Clements" <glynn at gclements.plus.com>,
> 	jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
> Cc: grass-user at lists.osgeo.org
>
> HI!
> I am  trying to display the tif file ,,
>
> by first importing  the tif file by
> r.in.gdal -e in=nf42_geo.tif out=tm
> WARNING: Datum 'unknown' not recognised by GRASS and no parameters
> found.
>          Datum transformation will not be possible using this
> projection
>          information.
>  Projection of input dataset and current location appear to match.
> Proceeding with import...
>  100%
> CREATING SUPPORT FILES FOR tm.red
> SETTING GREY COLOR TABLE FOR tm.red (8bit, full range)
>  100%
> CREATING SUPPORT FILES FOR tm.green
> SETTING GREY COLOR TABLE FOR tm.green (8bit, full range)
>  100%
> CREATING SUPPORT FILES FOR tm.blue
> SETTING GREY COLOR TABLE FOR tm.blue (8bit, full range)
>  r.in.gdal complete.
>
> now i am trying to display the imported file..
> i got the error
>
>  g.region rast=tm
> ERROR: raster map <tm> not found.

GDAL imports multband files (including multiband tifs) by creating a
raster map/image for each band. GRASS does not store files in a
multiband format. It also imports RGB files in the same way,
splitting them into their red, green, and blue components. You can
display them as an RGB color-fused image by using d.rgb (not the
brightness setting too) or by recombining them into a single RGB
using r.composite.

Michael