[GRASS-user] gdal 1.5 and WMS ressource --- PREVIOUSLY:How to best access hundreds of orthophotos -- mapserver as WMS server?

Rainer M Krug Rainer.grass at krugs.de
Wed Jan 2 12:27:09 EST 2008

Hi Dylan

you wrote in the a previous thread that one can use gdal 1.5 directly to
access a WMS ressource which is defined in an xml file (see snippet below).
As 1.5 is out (and I compiled with MrSid support - works nicely by the
way), I looked but could find no information on that feature. Could you
please elaborate how I can use this instead of setting up a mapserver on
localhost?

Thanks a lot,

Rainer

Dylan Beaudette wrote:
SNIP
 > 7. once GDAL 1.5 is released it will be possible to an r.in.gdal and
point it
 > to an XML file defining a WMS resource. A mini-script might be able to
 > construct the XML file on the fly...
 >
 > Unfortunately you will still have to manage the images that are
imported into
 > GRASS with GRASS commands, unless you constantly overwrite a
temporary set of
 > files  by always using the same names and the --o flag.

SNIP