[GRASS-user] Unable to create new project with Grass 6.2.2 in Ubuntu 7.1

Matt mlpublic42 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 22:27:20 EST 2008

I am unable to create a new location/project in Grass.  Since I am new to
both Linux/Ubuntu and Grass there are a nearly infinite ways to go wrong.  I
have Ubuntu 7.10 installed.  I used Synaptic to install Grass 6.2.2.  I have
been able to start Grass and play with the Spearfish and North Carolina
datasets.  I've made it to page 37 in "Open Source GIS A Grass GIS Approach,
3rd ed."  As interesting as North Carolina is, I yearn to create a map of
western New York.  But when I try to create a new project closer to home, I
get nowhere.  All the tutorials I've come across treat this as trivial, but
I'm stuck!

Starting Grass from the "Run Application" applet ("run in terminal" box
checked), starts Grass in the terminal window and a Grass Startup GUI window
appears.  Using the Browse button I enter "/home/matt/grass/grassdata" in
the GIS Data Directory box.  The previous created directory map1 appears in
the project location box and the Accessible Mapsets window is empty.  At
this point I've tried several things.  If before starting Grass I put a
Tiger shp file (tgr36029lkA.shp) into map1, I'm unable to use it.  If I
click on EPSG codes and select 4326 and click "Define Location" it tells me
to restart Grass to find the created location.  When restarted the location
is not there.

Any ideas?  Especially how to start a new project using a Tiger shape
file? (Remember, novice).

Thanks,
Matt