[GRASS-user] About importing VMAP into GRASS... (as shapefiles)

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 11 00:17:04 EST 2008

nikos.alexandris wrote:
> I still didn't find a way to import coastlines from the
> VMAP data base.
>
> I tried to look after the:
>
> mv: missing destination file operand after `.'
>
> error message but I can't figure it out.

there is a problem within the script. Probably an unset $VARIABLE, or
bad quoting.

"mv" needs two arguments, a 'from' and a 'to' file. If one is a
$VARIABLE and is unset, it is passed blank to the mv command and the mv
command then complains that it didn't get enough info.
(Just a guess, I don't know how the '.' part of the error fits)

> I don't need necessarily to convert into a shapefile.
>
> Anybody that has done it recently? I really need this in
> order to convert it to a raster and use it as a MASK.

Sorry I haven't read earlier in this thread. Did you try the method
given in Markus's article in GRASS Newsletter vol 3?

An alternate coastline can be obtained by the NOAA coastline extractor.
See the v.in.mapgen help page. Then v.type and v.centroids to make the
line into an area. (boundary+centroid = area)

Hamish