[GRASS-user] (no subject)

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Jan 11 10:06:50 EST 2008

On Jan 11, 2008, at 6:04 AM, grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 04:42:49 -0800 (PST)
> From: Craig Leat <Craig at pid.co.za>
> Subject: [GRASS-user] v.in.ogr fails on dbf with long column names
> To: grass-user at lists.osgeo.org
>

> Hi
>
> I have a shapefile and attributes in a dbf file. The dbf has two
> columns
> where the first ten characters of the column names are identical.
> The dbf
> driver appears to only consider the first ten letters of the name
> and so
> v.in.ogr fails reporting that two columns have the same name. Is
> there a way
> to only import selected columns? I could also delete a column before
> importing, but I am lacking some basic DBase know how so any
> pointers will
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> BTW the dbf is too big (94,000 rows) to load into OpenOffice Calc.

Open it in OpenOffice database module. This is very easy to use (set
the $GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET/dbf directory as the data
source). You can change field names without even looking at the data.

Michael

Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University