[GRASS-user] Running two instances of GRASS

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Jan 11 16:18:10 EST 2008

Benjamin Ducke wrote:

> > Simple and stupid question. Can I run two instances of GRASS on a
> > machine on DIFERENT location and mapset?
> >
> > I've been running r.watershed for 3 days now and I need to do some
> > stuff on another grass location but I'm afraid to mess up the
> > r.watershed process
>
> Yes, you can.
>
> Any software that allows you to mess up its own running processes
> by starting it twice should be ashamed of calling itself modular.
> I think GRASS is an example of a modular software that works
> very well.

OTOH, being able to run multiple GRASS sessions concurrently is a
fairly recent feature, and it took a while to get that working.

Even using different mapsets, you still need to take care with reading
from a mapset which is being modified by another session (i.e. don't
try to read files which the other session might be writing to).