[GRASS-user] thematic maps

Christoph Praxmarer christoph.praxmarer at uibk.ac.at
Tue Jan 15 08:20:42 EST 2008

Wow, great job! Thanks!

At first glance I'd say d.thematic.area provides everything that's needed
from a functional point of view.
no limits for class and color - that's heaven ;-), the color managment for
d.vect.thematic was too limiting.

v.class is also great. The only thing I'm not sure about is the class
algorithms. All I know about classification is from Dent, Slocum  etc ;-) so
I could only list the classifications they suggest. Need to check on
"equiprobable". The more the better, but I guess they can still be
implemented later without much hassle(?).

>From the point of view of userfriendliness (if that is an aim of grass ;-)
some help on colors would be great, but not necessary.

Just don't drop the current possibility of manual color and class input.

As I'm new to the whole subject I probably won't be of much help to you, but
I definitely like what you've done with v.class and d.thematic.area.

Symbols, Proportional Symbols (with custom symbols, perceptual and maths
scaling, orientation), cartograms (eg Dorling's algorithm) and other types
of maps would of course be a great enhancement to grass' thematic mapping
capabilities, hehe  ^ ^

but again, great job on the two new classes, you made my day :)

Chris