[GRASS-user] Re: Virtual memory available to cygwin GRASS

Luigi Ponti lponti at infinito.it
Sat Jan 19 09:42:53 EST 2008

From: Jonathan Greenberg <greenberg at ucdavis.edu>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] Virtual memory available to cygwin GRASS
> To: grass-user <grass-user at lists.osgeo.org>
>
> There are ongoing issues with various windows incarnations of GRASS.
> Cygwin has had some issues with large files and higher memory addressing
> pretty much since its incarnation (I wrestled with this quite a bit a
> few years back).  You might want to try the new grass binary that relies
> on mingw, I've seen my memory spike higher than 1gb during some
> analyses...
Thanks, I have that installed for testing but most of what I do with
GRASS involves batch processing via bash scripts that also call d.mon,
so I have to stick to Cygwin for now.
> or, install unix someplace!

I have done that on every windows machine I have worked with, by
installing Ubuntu/GRASS dual boot (as suggested on this ML). I still
keep working also under windows because many (should I say all?) people
and institutions I collaborate with require a windows version of everything.

I look forward to start experimenting with GRASS/d.mon functionality and
meanwhile try to get some experience with Python, as this seems the
future direction for cross-platform batch processing in GRASS -- am I wrong?

Thanks,

Luigi