[GRASS-user] Re: [GRASS-windows] Virtual memory available to cygwin GRASS

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 19 16:47:11 EST 2008

Luigi Ponti wrote:
> As a less-than-two-year old cygwin/GRASS user, I have never seen
> virtual memory going over 1 GB while doing intensive computations
> with GRASS (e.g., v.surf.idw interpolation).

Have you been getting out-of-memory errors or are you concerned that
you are not making best use of all available resouces? If the latter,
you don't see grass using much memory because it is fairly efficent
most of the time and doesn't need to- especially the core GIS and
raster parts of it. When you consider the amount of RAM+CPU power
typically available back when that code was written, it isn't
surprising that it was done in such a way.

A nice side effect of being built under those constraints is that now
with more computing resources available it scales to huge datasets
quite well.

So only worry if you are getting out-of-memory errors, otherwise just
enjoy. It won't use any more or less memory than just the amount it
needs.

?
Hamish