[GRASS-user] GRASS & QGIS

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 01:48:29 EST 2008

Hi,

once, I saw it by some guys from Germany. They read tons of data from
Oracle using Qgis.

Only thing you have to do is to compile ogr library with support for
oracle.

#1 download debian development tools
apt-get install dpkg-dev

#2 download the source code of GDAL library
apt-get source gdal

#3 go to gdal directory and adjust rules file in debian directory
cd gdal-1.4.2/debian
vim rules

[....]
		        --with-ecw=yes \
                        --with-pg \
                        --with-ogdi \
                        --with-mysql \
                        --with-perl \
                        --with-ruby \
		    # add the oracle stuff here
                    --with-oci=/path/to/oracle/home
                    --with-oci-include=/path/to/Oracle/OCI/API/headers
                    --with-oci-lib=/same/for/libs
[....]

#4 then you can run dpkg-build package and install missing packages,
until dpkg-buildpackage does not successfully build gdal package in ../
directory

#5 install generated packages with dpkg -i ../*gdal*deb

and it should work. you should be able to view oracle data from qgis, as
well as import them to grass

jachym