[GRASS-user] segment_format error with r.watershed

Wes Kent wkent at medinaco.org
Tue Jan 29 08:26:48 EST 2008

Greetings all,

I am trying to run r.watershed on a county-wide LIDAR data layer.
However, r.watershed returned a segment_format error during Section 1 of
the analysis.  Here is the error output:

SECTION 1 beginning: Initiating Variables. 5 sections total.

segment_format(fd,1,-1831011296,1,25,20): illegal value(s)

seg_open(): illegal configuration parameter(s)

Also, for reference, here is the information for the elevation input map
being used:

Type of Map:  raster               Number of Categories: 255
 |   Data Type:
FCELL
 |   Rows:
44000
 |   Columns:
55999
 |   Total Cells:
-1831011296
 |        Projection: State
Plane
 |            N: 589970.67755842    S: 479971.19725012   Res:
2.49998819
 |            E: 2226464.7485208    W: 2086468.7440966   Res:
2.49997329
 |   Range of data:    min = 764.770020  max =
1324.199951

 |   Data
 |    generated by r.patch

The raster layer consists of about 530 separate grids that were patched
together in stages using r.patch.  The resolution of the layer is 2.50 feet.

I am not able to determine what would have caused the error.  Are there
too many rows/columns, or is the negative value for the "Total Cells"
causing a problem?  Perhaps I used the wrong approach in patching the
individual grids together?

If any additional information is needed, let me know, and I will do my
best to provide it.  Many thanks for any and all assistance.

~Wes