[GRASS-user] creating new geometry from pre-existing lines and points

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Jan 31 10:11:43 EST 2008

On 30/01/08 18:32, David Epstein wrote:

> Also (and this relates to a previous question of mine) if I have
> imported a postGIS vector layer via v.in.ogr, does that create a
> permanent link so that edits via v.digit are then written back to the
> SQL database? Or do I need to somehow tell it to update?

v.in.ogr imports the layer into GRASS as GRASS format, so there is no
more link to the geometry elements contained in your postgis table.

You can just link a postgis layer into v.external, but then it is
"read-only".

If you want to work directly on the geometry in a PostGIS layer, you
will have to use QGIS, uDig or gvSIG.

Moritz