[GRASS-user] Output question - ps.map

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 2 04:11:44 EDT 2008

Richard Chirgwin:
> 2) Set the paper size to 200" x 200"

AFAIU now, the issue is that the PDF output is compressed, not the PostScript output of ps.map, which should be a best resolution. The
above trick is to get a create a resolution PDF, at the expense of
incorrect paper size. ie fool acrobat reader.

I have struggled with the same issue -- PDF conversion with the
ps2pdf13 gs wrapper reduces the images to 72dpi.

for the PS -> PDF conversion try:

gs -q -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dPDFSETTINGS=/printer \
  -sOutputFile=out.pdf in.ps

I tried with "-r1200" and "-r600x600" and "-density600" gs options but
those had no discernible effect AFAICT*, although the file sizes changed
a small amount (got smaller!). Probably due to the fact that I don't
know ghostscript very well.

"-dPDFSETTINGS=/printer" seemed to do the trick though.

[*] ah ha!, -r1200 works, but only when you define -dPDFSETTINGS as well.
now my 24M ps.map .ps file (1.6M gzipped) is a 1.1M PDF instead of a
600K one, and looks nicer too.  (debian/etch gs version 8.15.3)

http://milan.kupcevic.net/ghostscript_ps_pdf

--snip--
PDF optimization level selection options

-dPDFSETTINGS=/screen   (screen-view-only quality — 72 dpi images)
-dPDFSETTINGS=/ebook    (low quality — 150 dpi images)
-dPDFSETTINGS=/printer  (high quality — 300 dpi images)
-dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress (high quality with color preserving — 300 dpi images)
-dPDFSETTINGS=/default  (almost identical to /screen)
--/snip--

Hamish