[GRASS-user] ps.map dilemma

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Jul 3 11:26:40 EDT 2008

On 03/07/08 16:47, Hamish wrote:
> Hamish:
>>> how to set up an accurate bubble plot legend?
>
> Moritz Lennert wrote:
>> I create a new vector point map (belscale in the psmap
>> files) with the points placed at the spot where I would
>> like the legend.
>> Then it suffices to update the values in the attribute table to
>> relevant values related to your map and to display this 'map' just
>> like the real one...
>
> thanks for the trick.
>
>> One thing that still bothers me with bubble plot is the
>> lack of the possibility to sort the bubbles so that you are
>> sure to have the largest in the back...
>
> fillcolor=none  and go by outer ring  :-/
> ISTR some code to sort them was committed somewhere..

I once created a d.vect.chart2 [1] in which I sorted the bubbles, but
never committed it. At this stage, I'd rather implement it in
d.thematic.point.

> I see the New York Times often has nice bubble plots for their maps.
> They make the fill color semi-transparent, then stacked bubbles are
> darker where they overlap. PostScript won't "do" transparency, so
> perhaps something to look for in the grass7 display drivers.

Doesn't postscript 3 include transparency ?

But I still think that an option to ordering them should be available.

Moritz

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2006-October/026624.html