[GRASS-user] using ArcView data

Christian Ferreira chris.for.lists at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 4 04:12:36 EDT 2008

Buenos días Manuel,

Well, first just define your GRASS location to match the extent of
your shapefile. Second, if you use the graphical interface (in GRASS
6.3) just go to: "File -> Import Vector Map -> Multiple formats using
OGR".

Specify your shapefile at "OGR datasource..." and set a name for your
layer (to be used in GRASS). A good choice is also set "Override
dataset projection" (to use location's projection).

In the terminal the command line may be similar to this:

v.in.ogr -o dsn=/home/poseidon/Work/vector_data/CNTRY94.SHP
output=my_map min_area=0.0001 snap=-1

Cheers,
Christian
Poseidon Linux team