[GRASS-user] Clip vector to current region

Dwight Needels needels at translucida.com
Sun Jul 6 23:05:07 EDT 2008

on 7/6/08 12:00 PM, "Markus Neteler" <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 7:28 PM, Dwight Needels <needels at translucida.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> What is the quickest way to clip a vector to the current region, while
>> ending up with the attribute table retaining all original field names and
>> data values?
>
> Dwight,
>
> see v.in.region and v.overlay/v.select.
>
> Markus

Thanks, Markus (v.select is exactly what I was looking for).

I had been trying to use v.overlay to clip a line vector map (of roads), but
it added an "a_" prefix to each of the field names in the attribute table. I
also seemed to have to add a centroid to the vector created by g.in.region
to get v.overlay to work. Finally, v.overlay  resulted in 5,451 lines
compared to 5,444 from v.select. The extra lines were copies of 4 lines that
all happen to intersect the binput map boundary.

-Dwight