[GRASS-user] Buffering large grid maps

Milton Cezar Ribeiro miltinho.astronauta at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 21:01:42 EDT 2008

Dear R-gurus,

I just started to use GRASS, and I am working with a (almost to me) very
large dataset into GRASS 6.3.0 NATIVE WINDOWS
I imported an Erdas image file using Gdal. Apparently I looks fine, because
GRASS understood and create a Mapset with all informations contained on my
IMG file (like projection, number of cells, bounding box, etc.).

The raster map is 60,000x48,000 pixels.

I tryed display my raster map (it is a binary map with values 0 and 1), but
I can see the binary map.
How can I display my raster map on Map Display 1? I notice that "d.raster
teste" send the output to .tmp directory (or something like).

But my biggest problem is that I need to generate a Distance Map from those
pixels which values is 1.

I tryed "r.buffer input=test output=teste_buffer distances=50,100" (it is in
meters)
but GRASS return a erros message telling that can´t allocate memory

Below is the r.info for the raster that I am trying to "see" and to
"buffer".

My computer is running windows XP, and I have 4Gb of ram memory.

Help are welcome.

Miltinho Astronauta
Brazil

----

 | Layer:    teste                          Date: Mon Jul 21 18:29:17
2008    |
 | Mapset:   PERMANENT                      Login of Creator:
user            |
 | Location:
newLocation                                                      |
 | DataBase:
C:/GRASS/database                                                |
 | Title:     ( teste
)                                                       |
 | Timestamp:
none                                                            |

 |   Type of Map:  raster               Number of Categories:
1               |
 |   Data Type:
CELL                                                       |
 |   Rows:
60184                                                      |
 |   Columns:
48147                                                      |
 |   Total Cells:
2897679048                                                 |
 |        Projection: UTM (zone
-24)                                          |
 |            N: 9183173.84865143    S: 6173973.84865143   Res:
50         |
 |            E: 962345.7741373    W: -1445004.2258627   Res:
50           |
 |   Range of data:    min = 0  max =
1                                       |

 |   Data
 |    generated by
r.in.gdal                                                  |

Comments:                                                                |
 |    r.in.gdal
input="D:/analisebcjulho2008/mergegeral02_julho2008_mata_d\   |
 |    ila0000m.img"
output="teste"                                            |