[GRASS-user] new user setting up a new mapset/project, part 2

mtnbiketrail at zzz.com mtnbiketrail at zzz.com
Tue Jul 22 17:52:17 EDT 2008

Okay. some details.
I am working in California maps. I had trouble creating a new
project/mapset, but it is working now. I used r.in.gdal to bring in the
Geotiff and Grass sees it as NAD83 Albers Conical. I tried to use the
command gdalinfo and Grass could not file the file. Even though it is
showing in the Map Display.
Whatever.
here is the g.region -p, I have no idea if it is correct. I don't
understand the negative west, east numbers yet.

projection: 99 (Albers Equal Area)
zone:       0
datum:      nad83
ellipsoid:  grs80
north:      405480.97282175
south:      391273.11966856
west:       -271733.88910031
east:       -260832.03532599
nsres:      1.52772615
ewres:      1.52772615
rows:       9300
cols:       7136
cells:      66364800

My next question is: I need this base Geotiff in UTM WGS84. From what
the other email said, I have to create a new location. Does the area
covered have to be the same? I am still having a hard time with the
project region syntax.

I also have GPS  waypoints(in UTM, WGS84) I want to bring into the
mapset. From what I read points should be treated as vectors? Is there a
way to mass import points into the database?

I ordered the Neteler book, I hope it has real examples.

Thanks,
Tom