[GRASS-user] Re: Thin plate spline for climate point, record interpolation?

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Jul 26 15:13:01 EDT 2008

Andreas and Dimos,

In my NSF project, we are doing the kind of climate spatial modeling
that you are discussing below. As you note, Andreas, this is not
really interpolation, but multiple regression in that it takes into
account topographic parameters that can affect the weather. We've been
using external software--some initial work in ArcGIS (which could also
be done in GRASS) and primarily Excel and OpenOffice for the
regressions, but may do something more sophisticated in the very near
future--to calculate the regression coefficients that best account for
variance in, say precipitation, among known weather stations. Then we
apply those coefficients to a raster landscape in GRASS, using the map
calculator, to create climate landscapes.

A couple of examples can be seen in this conference paper:
Barton, Michael, H. Sarjoughian, S. Falconer, H. Mitasova, R.
Arrowsmith, & P. Fall (2006) Modeling Long-Term Landscape Dynamics and
the Emergence of Intensification. Invited symposium paper presented at
the 71st Annual Meeting of the Society for American Archaeology, San
Juan. Link to PDF (2 Mb): http://www.asu.edu/clas/shesc/projects/medland/files/barton_etal_SAA2006.pdf

More on our methodology can be found here:
Hill, J. Brett, Alexandra Miller, Elizabeth Wentz. & C. Michael Barton
(2008). Archaeoclimatology and Ancient Mediterranean Landscape
Dynamics. Invited symposium paper presented at the 73rd Annual Meeting
of the Society for American Archaeology, Vancouver, BC. Link to PDF
(1.3 Mb): http://www.asu.edu/clas/shesc/projects/medland/files/Hill_etal_SAA2008.pdf

Hope this helps.

Michael

On Jul 26, 2008, at 7:48 AM, <grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org> <grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org