[GRASS-user] r.watershed speed-up

Markus Metz markus_metz at gmx.de
Tue Jul 29 11:44:20 EDT 2008

Yes, there are some differences. Please look at where these differences
are located and if they are significantly changing the results. In flat
areas, there will be several possibilities about how water could flow.
This might also affect the flowpath further upstream. Both the original
version and the fast version have a certain degree of randomness on how
to find a path through flat terrain, but it's a different type
randomness, so to speak. The fast version can not exactly replicate the
results, but it is pretty close. If there are only slight shifts in the
flowpath and these differences can be justified by comparing them to the
input DEM, the results could be useful. I think of particular interest
are larger differences in flow accumulation, because they have a big
influence on other output like basins and flow direction.

Thanks for testing!