[GRASS-user] Using GIMPs Fuzzy Select tool on orthophotos (geotiff)

Jonathan Greenberg greenberg at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jul 31 18:51:30 EDT 2008

Nikos:

    Have you checked out any of the new minirasterstrip features in
starspan yet?  It takes vector data (any format that OGR supports),
extracts a window (user defined size) around the vector out of a set of
rasters (anything that GDAL supports), compiles it into a single image,
and references the original vector data with the new compilation image.

    http://starspan.casil.ucdavis.edu

    Note: there is a small bug that will be fixed soon with the
referenced vector -- once you get the minirasterstrip raster made,
you'll need to re-define the raster projection to "arbitrary" with the
original pixel size to get the associated vector lined up properly.

--j

P.S. Windows binaries (including an installer) and a java gui are now
part of starspan!  Enjoy!

Nikos Alexandris wrote:
> Apologies for cross-posting.
>
> Can someone tell me why I should NOT use GIMPs "Fuzzy Select" tool to
> select various "features" from an image (e.g. orthophoto), save
> selection in a new file, add geo-metadata from the original image [1]
> and continue my work in GRASS? It works so nice!
>
> Could a tool like that implemented in GRASS to assist image
> interpretation for example?
>
> Thank you, Nikos

Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
Postdoctoral Scholar
Center for Spatial Technologies and Remote Sensing (CSTARS)
University of California, Davis
One Shields Avenue
The Barn, Room 250N
Davis, CA 95616