[GRASS-user] import satellite data in Grass

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 4 21:13:54 EDT 2008

Martina Schaefer wrote:
> I'm new with Grass and I don't have somebody around me knowing well
> Grass and besides all the documentation and tutorials that
> I've found, I have some beginner questions...
>
> I have several satellite data sets, that I would like to
> import in Grass.
>
> These sets are:
> - devpan_2000_mos.tif, .rrd, .aux, .tif.aux
> - S4_07935_7537_20070828_p10_1_lcc00.tif, .xml with files
> selected_zone-zone_selectionnee.dbf, prj, shp and shx as
> well as
> spot_footprint-empreinte_spot.dbf, prj, shp and shx
> - oa16787_087.img

first step: have a look at their metadata with "gdalinfo <filename>"
check that is all in order.

if projections are all the same use r.in.gdal from the new location to load in the other maps. If they use different projections you can use r.proj to move them into the same location. each different map projection needs its own location.

qgis is a nice data viewer if you don't want to create new grass locations just to look at the data. (www.qgis.org)

Hamish