[GRASS-user] Multiple character enconding

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Jun 13 08:30:34 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Manuel Sangiao <masanlo1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi grasslist,
>
> I have a MIF/MID file with city names of europa. I have imported this one
> into GRASS

I suppose you used v.in.ogr?

> and I've worked with the layer in sqlite. Then I have exported
> the layer to shp and then I notice that the german, polish and other special
> characters have disappeared.

I suppose you used v.out.ogr?

> I'm not sure, but probably in the source data (the MIF/MID file) the city
> names are encoded with the correspondent language code.
>
> Have someone any idea, how can I resolve this problem?

I think that this might be an OGR problem (found for example
http://www.nabble.com/Encoding-in-ogr2ogr-td10168817.html#a10168817
).

Could you try to convert it via ogr2ogr to see if the accented characters
survive? If yes, it's a GRASS problem, then we need to check that. If
not, please report to the GDAL mailing list then.

Markus