[GRASS-user] v.rast.stats and Lidar data

andrew haywood ahaywood3 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 17:53:26 EDT 2008

Hi Wesley,

as Hamish points out r.in.xyz is the way to go. I have been working with
large lidar data files over forest for a couple of months now and find the
intersection between the ground and the vegetation to create the Digital
Canopy Height Model - quite time consuming. Here is my basic workflow

# read in the ground using v.in.ascii with topology turned off
v.in.ascii -tzbr input=grd.txt  output=grd_pts x=2 y=3 z=4 fs=" "
# create the ground surface using v.surf.rast (this is useful when you have
irregularly spaced strikes under dense canopies)
v.surf.rst grd_pts elev=grd_dtm npmin=120 segmax=25 layer=0

# create a flat vegetation file with non-ground strikes intersecting the DTM
(this can be quite time consuming)
# I use awk to calculate the difference between the canopy elevation and
ground elevation = canopy height
cat AreaThreeNonGround.xyz  | r.what in=grd_dtm | awk 'print $1, $2, $3, $4,
$5, $3-$5)' | veg.txt

#I then use r.in.xyz to calculate statistics of binned data from the flat
vegetation file
g.region res=10
#calculate the mean vegetation height greater than 0.5m for a 10m cell
r.in.xyz input=veg.txt output=mean_10m method=mean type=FCELL fs='|' x=1 y=2
z=6 zrange=0.5,200 percent=100
#calculate the 90th vegetation height percentile
r.in.xyz input=veg.txt output=mean_p90_10m method=percentile pth=90
type=FCELL fs='|' x=1 y=2 z=6 zrange=0.5,200 percent=100

## I think the r.in.xyz has most of the statistics that you would like to
use.
## reading in the point cloud into R can be quite memory intensive
## but it is fun to do

cheers

Andy