[GRASS-user] Label placement mechanism in GRASS?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 19 08:24:21 EDT 2008

Nikos:
> As far as I understand, there is no mechanism for optimal
> label placement when labels overlay partially to each other.
>
> I think it is an important feature. Are there any work-arounds
> within grass [...] ?

possible work around if v.label.sa doesn't solve it for you:
use regular v.label and then shift overlapping labels by hand.

the $MAPSET/paint/labels/$NAME is an easy text file to edit, just adjust xoffset and yoffset + or - some integer for the problematic label.
for d.labels the offset value is in pixels, for ps.map it is in points (1/72").

d.labels + edit/save + d.redraw makes this go quickly.

once we resolve issues it is my goal that v.label.sa becomes a flag of v.label instead of another module. that way the features won't get out of sync as they are now. (e.g. fixed fontsize=)
Sorry for the d.labels/ps.map ref="none" patch delay Wolf.. ASAP

Hamish