[GRASS-user] Downscaling rasters (resampling to LOWER resolution)

Jose Gómez-Dans jgomezdans at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 11:06:09 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Thursday 19 June 2008 12:06:03 Nikos Alexandris wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 13:10 -0700, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> > r.resamp.stats (>=GRASS 6.3)
> What about cubic upscaling and then back to your original resolution?

I would say that r.resamp.stats is a better way. What you are trying to do is
to degrade the resolution of your initial data, and you're trying to come up
with a value that is representative of the distribution of higher resolution
pixels. If you are using discrete data (land use classes or somesuch), then
the mode is possibly useful. For continuous fields, depending on the
distribution, you might want to use some other metric.

Your method just takes one value and assigns it to the lower resolution data,
without any regard to its significance.

Jose