[GRASS-user] total Newbie help request

Lyle E. Browning lebrowning at att.net
Sun Jun 22 13:09:02 EDT 2008

On Jun 22, 2008, at 3:38 AM, Nikos Alexandris wrote:

> Lyle,
>
> a. I think that the 8000 pixels is too big. I don't really have any
> prove for that. Just my small experience that files created with
> such a
> resolution will be big and heavy for processing. If you don't really
> need it you could reduce its size.
I've reduced it to 750NS by 1000EW.

> b. Yes you have either to give the full path of your shapefile or to
> navigate in the subdirectory where your shapefile is located and run
> form within it the v.in.ogr module.
Ah, I thought that once it created the permanent file, then the
subfile, it would assign it to one or the other.

And that worked. I now have the map in there. The other thing, was
that the 0,0 origin wasn't below and left of the lower left corner of
the onscreen map (this was digitizing a scan of a map on graph paper
done in the 1970's into Vectorworks). Once the shapefile was exported
with the 0,0 origin correctly placed and the full path given, it is
now shown on screen.

I figured it had to be some ignorance of syntax on my part as the
Spearfish data worked and so it was. Thanks so much.

Lyle