[GRASS-user] import satellite data in Grass

Martina Schaefer smartina at mun.ca
Wed Jun 25 09:15:54 EDT 2008

Hi Moritz,

what you propose sounds good for me ... but it didn't work :-(

>> What I want to do is the following:
>> I have satellite photos from a glacier and we want to get an idea of
>> the distribution of the crevasses over this glacier.
>> In a first step we want to assign every 100x100m grid cell of this
>> glacier a value reflecting if there are very little, some, a lot of
>> crevasses. As we don't know for the moment how to do this
>> automatically (perhaps it would be possible to use the color in a next
>> step), the idea was to define this value by "eyeballing". Any ideas
>> how to do this a better way are welcome, too, but I think it's not easy.
>
>> Now the questions is "only" how to handle the grid and my values in
>> Grass ...
>
> You could use v.mkgrid to create a vector grid,
I created such a grid. This grid does not appear in the list ¨Select
item" when I do "add a raster layer" in the GIS Manager. I hope this is
normal?
As Rows and Columns I put the rows an columns of my x-y gridding, I hope
this is correct?

> add a column for number
> of crevasses with v.db.addcol,
in v.db.addcol my new grid appears in the list of items for "vector map
for which to edit attribut table), I put layer=1 and name=D
then I get

"DBMI-DBF driver error:
SQL parser error in statement:
ALTER TABLE density ADD COLUMN D
Error in db_execute_immediate()
Error while executing: "ALTER TABLE density ADD COLUMN D
"
ERROR: Cannot continue (problem adding column)."

Has anybody an idea what this could mean?

Thanks,
	Martina