[GRASS-user] installation problems

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Jun 26 10:42:12 EDT 2008

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > I'm having trouble with installing grass in my directory. I would like to
> > install grass locally as I don't have root privileges. I've completed
> > installing proj4 in a local area but cannot get grass to realize that it has
> > been installed. when I run the configure script, I get the following
> > message:
> >
> > configure: error: *** Unable to locate External PROJ.4 includes.
>
> you need to use these parameters of configure:
>   --with-proj-includes=DIRS
>   --with-proj-libs=DIRS   External PROJ.4 library files are in DIRS
>   --with-proj-share=DIR   External PROJ.4 data files are in DIR
>
> to indicate the directories.

On Linux, you will also need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the
directory where the shared libraries are installed. Other platforms
have similar mechanisms (e.g. DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH on MacOSX).

Without that, modules which link against PROJ won't run, and linking
against libraries which themselves require PROJ (e.g. GDAL, and
various GRASS libraries) won't work either.