[GRASS-user] loss of bash aliases

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 6 04:03:02 EST 2008

Philipp Steigenberger wrote:
> why does the test refer to .alias?

AFAIK it is just historically a common place to put them. I have no
idea if it conforms to SUS, but it seems to me cleaner than having a
huge pile of aliases in ~/.bashrc and at least once upon a time was
common.
shrug.

> As I wrote in the attached mail the
> bash-alias-file should be .bash_aliases

In .grass.bashrc you can call it whatever you like.

> And what I don't understand either, not even if in the .grass.bashrc
> is defined
>
> if [ -f ~/.bash_aliases ]; then
>      . ~/.bash_aliases
> fi
>
> the aliases work in grass.

because "~" has been redefined to be your mapset dir...?
try in your .grass.bashrc calling it with the full path to the file,
/home/you/.bash_aliases

> ... oh now I understand, do I? Do I have to change this entry in
>
> if [ -f $USERHOME/.bash_aliases ]; then
>      . $USERHOME/.bash_aliases
> fi
>
> ???
>
> No... does not work ;o(

$USERHOME is not exported from Init.sh so cannot be seen in the child
..grass.bashrc script.

> Greets to the other side of the globe

& back again,
Hamish