[GRASS-user] Writing recode rules into a Postgres Database

William Hudspeth bhudspeth at edac.unm.edu
Thu Mar 6 17:55:16 EST 2008

Hello,

I would like to explain the problem I am trying to solve. I begin with
importing a shapefile of county boundaries into a GRASS vector map. I
then convert the vector map into a raster map using a county ID code in
the vector map attributes. What I get is a raster map with pixels coded
into some 30 different county ID categories. I also have a second raster
map whose pixels are assigned one of a continuous range of floating
point values (i.e. dust concentration).

I then use r.average to recode the county map IDs into a new map that
has counties coded by average dust concentration. When I run r.info I
get something like this:

*******
raster file fips_county2

generated by r.recode
recode of raster file fips_county2
0:0:0.0000000000
35001:35001:5.4066317414
35003:35003:5.9971417728
35005:35005:3.9597935272
35006:35006:7.5931687376
35007:35007:5.3254945193
35009:35009:0.9088373997
35011:35011:2.3610553445
35013:35013:21.1810002482

********

The recode rules on each line show that the county ID numbers (e.g.
35001) are recoded into average dust concentration values (e.g.
5.4066317414).

I am interested in taking these two pieces of information, county ID and
average dust concentration, and for each county, appending them as a row
to a PostgreSQL database table. I have thought of parsing the recode
files in the hist directories using a scripting language, but would like
to try something more straightforward. Any ideas?

Thanks very much, Bill