[GRASS-user] I need help

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Thu Mar 6 18:22:05 EST 2008

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008, Philipp Steigenberger wrote:

>>> I execute the command sh grass6install.sh
>>> grass-6.2.2.tar.gz_Linux_bin.tar.gz and he doesn't find the directory.

Can you give the exact command-line you typed, and the exact error mesage
(copied and pasted). This would make it a lot easier to debug.

[...]
> You have to unpack the tar.gz by
>
> tar xvfz grass-6.2.2.tar.gz_Linux_bin.tar.gz

No that's not correct. grass6install.sh is the binary installer script
(generated from binaryInstall.src in the top-level of the GRASS source
when you run "make bindist") and it automatically unpacks the archive, so
you don't need to do it manually. (The "bin" in the filename indicates
that it's a binary distribution, not a source distribution.) It would help
if the original poster gave the exact commandline used and exact error
message though.

Paul