[GRASS-user] Error using v.in.ogr to load a shapefile: any clue?

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Mon Mar 10 12:01:34 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 15:52 +0000, Corrado wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> I get this error when trying to read the Scotland.shp shape file using
> v.in.ogr. Please, not that I have the proper permissions on the databse.

Do you use Ubuntu? If no disregard whatever I am writing.

If yes there is "strange" permission problem (when GRASS places some
files in the /tmp directory).

More info here:

http://www.nabble.com/Permission-denied-%28again%21%
29-td15288072.html#a15325212

Either create your location by entering GRASS with sudo or get yourself
GRASS' source code and configure/compile/install.

There is also maybe the option to tell GRASS to store it's temp files
somewhere else than in tmp

Cheers,

Nikos