[GRASS-user] Wich file format to "transport" (raster/ vector) data from a GRASS db in to another computer's GRASS db? Why export vector data in shapefile for starspan/ OpenEV?

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Mon Mar 10 14:12:58 EDT 2008

Dear all,

it's some months now that I am trying to learn GRASS-GIS and I wonder

1. if one needs to copy some GRASS raster data from his data base in
another computer's GRASS data base (same coordinate system of course),
then how? Where do for example the history files go?

I understand (I think) the need to set-up properly a LOCATION and import
the data. But why isn't there a GRASS portable vector/ raster file
format?

2. the same about vector data

3. Is it really necessaty to export in shapefiles when working with
starspan? If there is "GRASS read-only" support by OGR why is it
necessary to export?

What about OpenEV? If GDAL is built with GRASS support why can't it read
GRASS rasters?

Thank you for your precious time,

Nikos