[GRASS-user] first littel experience with wxpython GUI

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Mar 20 10:44:15 EDT 2008

Martin Landa wrote:

> >  the mapset was generated by another user. so i have read, but not write
> >  access, when I am in grass (command line or gis.m).
>
> Basically you cannot start GRASS with mapset where you have no
> permission to write (I see that those mapsets are not displayed in
> TCL/TK welcome screen). It seems to be bug in wxPython start-up
> screen, those mapsets should be at least disabled. I will fix it in
> trunk.

GRASS itself requires that you own the current mapset; having write
permission isn't sufficient.

AFAICT, this restriction is a historical artifact. The restriction is
meant to prevent multiple sessions using the same mapset.

A lock file in the user's home directory ensured that a user could
only have one GRASS session active. If a mapset could only be used as
the current mapset by its owner, the combination of this restriction
and the lock file ensured that a mapset couldn't be used by two
sessions concurrently.

Nowadays, the startup code (and also g.mapset) creates the lock file
in the mapset directory. So, there doesn't appear to be any reason to
retain the ownership restriction.