[GRASS-user] [GRASSLIST:9108] Re: Area size of a vector layer..

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Mar 25 09:09:05 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 13:58 +0100, Moritz Lennert wrote:
> Going through a huge backlog of GRASS mails, so sorry if this was
> already answered:
>
> On 10/03/08 15:43, Nikos Alexandris wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 07:19 -0700, Nikos Alexandris wrote:
> > [...]
> >> I am replying in an old thread but I've been trying to grab area size per
> >> class from a (CORINE land cover) vector map. Still no luck for a quick and
> >> easy way.
> >
> > I forgot:
> >
> > My column with the various land cover classes is "a_code".
> >
> > So thw question is actually how could I sum up area's based on "a_code"?
>
> Have you tried (using sqlite or postresql as data backend):
>
> v.to.db area
>
> echo "select a_code, sum(area) from CorineTable group by a_code" |
> db.execute
>
> Moritz

I tried several similar things but nothing worked. I will try again
today with your suggestion.

BTW, it's really funny: I spent so much time yesterday trying to get
that.

I was looking at the r.stats code (in particular the -a flag) but it's a
completely different thing.

I read the v.report script. It shouldn't be hard for an experienced
programmer to hack-in a -a flag in v.report. Some shell math maybe in a
loop? Or is it hard?

Thank you Moritz.