[GRASS-user] Grass "stability"

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu May 15 22:48:32 EDT 2008

maning sambale wrote:

> I've just returned to grass on cygwin a couple of weeks ago.  Overall,
> I think it's pretty much stable, a couple of quirks I encountered
> though:
>
> 1.  No cut and paste under startxwin.sh shell

I'm not entirely clear what you mean by this. AFAICT, there are two
issues:

1. xterm doesn't use the clipboard by default, but the primary
selection. Consequently, you can't paste the selection with e.g.
Ctrl-V or Shift-Insert. This can be changed via the "Select to
Clipboard" option in the menu obtained from Ctrl+Button2 (the middle
button).

2. The X server needs to be started with the -clipboard switch to
enable synchronisation between the X clipboard and the Windows
clipboard.

> 2.  Some of my simple scripts (for batch import of vector and raster)
> are not working, both under the startxwin.sh and cygwin bash running
> in Poderosa.
>
> I don't think this is due to GRASS but more of the cygwin's bash
> shell.

There isn't much different between Cygwin's bash and any other version
of bash.

Common causes of problems with shell scripts on Windows include:

1. Forgetting to put quotes around variables, i.e. "$variable". If you
omit the quotes, it will likely do the wrong thing if the value
contains spaces, and spaces in pathnames are far more common on
Windows than on Unix.

2. Incompatible programs in the path. E.g. if the System32 directory
is at the beginning of $PATH, "find" will refer to the Windows utility
of that name. Ditto for "sort".