[GRASS-user] query of character field of vector map in GIS manager

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue May 20 02:41:53 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 12:15 AM, knussear <knussear at mac.com> wrote:
> is there any way to query by a character field in the vector maps display
> area. I'm trying to display only one or a few animals within a population,
> but my SQL query gives the error:
>

> DBMI-DBF driver error:
> Column 'AM06' not found

I suspect that the caps column name is the problem. This AFAIK
requires extra quoting (or rename with v.db.renamecol to "am06").

> Incompatible types in WHERE condition.
> Error in selecting rows
> Error in db_open_select_cursor()
>

> This works fine for Integer columns. Tried it with and without quotes on the
> character field

You used the GUI, right? It's possible that the GUI is "eating" your
quotes, I darkly remember some related discussion in grass-user or
grass-dev. Not sure though.

Personally, I always use non-capital column names to avoid related
problems.

Markus