[GRASS-user] Re: grass-user Digest, Vol 25, Issue 67

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Fri May 30 17:32:12 EDT 2008

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 20:58:46 +0100
> From: Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] Problems with compiling
> To: mihastaut at yahoo.co.uk
> Cc: grass-user at lists.osgeo.org
>

> Miha Staut wrote:
>

>> > Recently I have upgraded my system to Fedora Core 9. Running the
>> > configure script on a fresh 6.3.0 download did not report any problems
>> > but make did not compile any modules at all. Errors are too numerous
>> > to post them on the mailing list and trying to interpret them by a
>> > definite non-expert did not help a lot.
>>

> Post the first few errors (the actual error messages from the "make"
> output, not the directories from error.log).
>
> Often, a key library (e.g. libgis) will fail to compile, so everything
> which requires that library fails to link.
>
> -- Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>

2c worth.

- Library management isn't great; moving to OpenSuse from a Ubuntu
distribution, reinstalling 6.3 nearly broke my brain! OpenSuse installs
similarly to the Fedora set, I think.

As well as the listed dependencies, there is (as Glynn said) a bunch of
dependent libraries. Forgive the Suse-specific names, get the rights
ones for Fedora instead.
gdal-1.5.1-5.1.i586.rpm
geos-3.0.0-1openSuSE10.3.i586.rpm
geos-devel-3.0.0-1openSuSE10.3.i586.rpm
libgdal-devel-1.5.1-5.1.i586.rpm
libgdal-grass-1.4.3-2.6.i586.rpm
libgdal0-1.5.1-5.1.i586.rpm
libgeos-devel-3.0.0-13.2.i586.rpm
libgeos0-3.0.0-13.2.i586.rpm
libgeos0-3.0.0-14.1.i586.rpm
libproj-devel-4.6.0-1.3.i586.rpm
libproj0-4.6.0-1.3.i586.rpm
proj-4.4.9-1suse10.0.i586.rpm
proj-4.6.0-1openSuSE10.3.i586.rpm
proj-devel-4.6.0-1openSuSE10.3.i586.rpm
proj4-4.6.0-1.3.i586.rpm
unixODBC-2.2.11-1.src.rpm
unixODBC-devel-2.2.11-1.i386.rpm
wxPython-common-gtk2-unicode-2.8.7.1-13.1.i586.rpm
wxPython2.8-devel-gtk2-unicode-2.8.7.1-13.1.i586.rpm
wxPython2.8-gtk2-unicode-2.8.7.1-13.1.i586.rpm

This should get your failure list down to a manageable amount ...

Richard Chirgwin