[GRASS-user] Tips for setting up an new FOSS-GEO-linux-box

John Stevenson john.stevenson at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Nov 3 06:09:44 EST 2008

Hi,

I have some other tips for the setting up of a box.  I came as a new
user to both GRASS and Linux at the same time so perhaps these tips
would help people in a similar situation.

Instructions to install a load of GIS software on Ubuntu can be found here:

http://www.perrygeo.net/wordpress/?p=119

If you are working on a dual boot system, with Windows NTFS and Linux,
and the main data are stored on the NTFS partition, then you need to
mount it with yourself as the owner to be able to work on it in GRASS.
The following entry in the /etc/fstab works:

/dev/sda3       /media/Windows       ntfs-3g
umask=0002,uid=YOUR_LOGIN,gid=YOUR_GROUP,allow_other      0    0

I got most of my packages from the repositories, but installed the
following from source:

gstat (http://www.gstat.org/) - Calculate variograms and interpolate by
kriging
liblas (http://liblas.org/) - Read and write LiDAR data in LAS format