[GRASS-user] Import CH1903 Referenced Geodata

Adrian Waddell adrian at waddell.ch
Thu Nov 13 15:58:34 EST 2008

Hello There,

I'm trying to import the sample shapefile from

http://www.swisstopo.admin.ch/internet/swisstopo/en/home/products/downloads/landscape/vector25.html

(ArcView Shapefile) into GRASS 6.3.

I guess the Coordinate Reference System for the data is CH1903+ /LV95,
EPSG code 2056. However if I create a new location with these CRS
settings, I get the following error while trying to import the data:

 > v.in.ogr geb_25_l.shp out=geb25
ERROR: Projection of dataset does not appear to match current location.

I get the same error message if I use the EPSG 4149,4150, 21781 settings.

However if I import the data by creating a new location, i.e.

 > v.in.ogr geb_25_l.shp out=geb25 location=CHTopo

the data import works fine, however I get the following error if I try
to change the projection settings:

XY-location cannot be projected

Does anybody has an idea how to fix this problem?

Sincerely,

Adrian Waddell