[GRASS-user] Using v.in.ascii to create elevation vector

Kurt Springs ferret_bard at mac.com
Sun Nov 16 17:10:15 EST 2008

Hi folks,

I am trying to convert ascii files that I bought from the Irish
Ordinance Survey in to GRASS vector format.  These are digital terrain
models.  I want to eventually make a raster surface map and a 3d
raster map out demonstrating where various archaeological sites are.

The files the OSI has sent me have a heading set off with "#" on each
line, then the data.  There are three columns, eventually x, y, z.
These are separated by a space.

Using v.in.ascii, I checked Create 3D file

selected the input file, in this case 0834_10.DTM and typed the out
put file osi0834.  The field separator was set to |.  I erased this,
and left it blank. Input file format was set to point.

I clicked on the Columns tab.  I left the SQL blank.  Left x=1 y=2
and set Z=3.

When I hit run I got:

Scanning input for column types...

Maximum input row length: 33

Maximum number of columns: 1

Minimum number of columns: 1

y column number > minimum last column number

(incorrect field separator?)

I put the | back and got the same error.

I then set the input file format to standard and got:

Unexpected data in vector head:

[#]

I have a lot of these to convert.  Can anyone give me any advice?

Kurt