[GRASS-user] Compile grass6_devel with ffmpeg support?

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Sun Nov 23 19:59:19 EST 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-23 at 18:46 +0000, Glynn Clements wrote:

> > > Look at the error messages in config.log.
> > >
> > > Note that an error reporting a "missing" header means that it failed
> > > to compile (more precisely, preprocess) a test program which
> > > "#include"s that header. This can be caused by factors other than the
> > > header actually being absent.
> > >
> > > It works for me in 7.0 (with ffmpeg-0.4.9_p20070616-r3) and there are
> > > no differences in the FFMPEG configure checks between 6.4 and 7.0.
> > >
> > > However, the FFMPEG API is quite unstable, and we only attempt to
> > > support the most common version (more precisely, the checks get
> > > changed when the existing checks no longer work for at least one GRASS
> > > developer who understands how to fix configure.in).
> >
> > # after another failure
> > # the bottom lines from config.log
> > [...]
> > configure:10745: checking whether to use FFMPEG
> > configure:10765: checking for location of FFMPEG includes
> > configure:10791: checking for avcodec.h
> > configure:10799: gcc -E  -I/usr/include/ffmpeg/  conftest.c >/dev/null
> > 2>conftest.out
> > configure:10835: checking for avformat.h
> > configure:10843: gcc -E  -I/usr/include/ffmpeg/  conftest.c >/dev/null
> > 2>conftest.out
> > configure:10839:22: error: avformat.h: No such file or directory
> > configure: failed program was:
> > #line 10838 "configure"
> > #include "confdefs.h"
> > #include <avformat.h>
> >
> > So, there is one specific format which causes trouble. Right?
>
> No. FFMPEG is split into several libraries, each with its own header
> file(s). The actual libraries are named avcodec (audio and video
> codecs: XviD, h.264, MP3, etc), avformat (file formats: AVI, MKV, MP4,
> etc), and avutil (utility functions).
>
> Depending upon how your distribution packages FFMPEG, you might have
> to install multiple packages. Or it's possible that the headers are in
> separate subdirectories, in which case you would need to specify
> multiple directories with the --with-ffmpeg-includes= option.

Markus, Glynn,

thanks for the support. I can't *locate* the avformat.h file under my
system. I can't find any ffmpeg-dev package in the ubuntu repositories.

I even did try to compile grass after compiling ffmpeg latest source
code [1]. No luck.

There was no issue in Ubuntu 7.10 64-bit. With Ubuntu HH and now II
there always was a problem but I never had a closer look. Broken ubuntu
package or broken ffmpeg source code?

[1] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786095